With the recent legalization of marijuana is some states, dog owners should be more careful to keep their stash in a safe place – out of the reach of their curious dogs.
Here are some things you should know about dogs and marijuana.
Some time ago, a video of a stoned Siberian Husky went viral.
Loki, the Husky, rummaged through a bag and ingested Rice Krispies laced with marijuana. In the video, the Siberian Husky can be seen stumbling and disoriented. His eyes dilated and his tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth.
Last year, a video of a Pit Bull who accidentally ate his human’s stash of weed got people outraged.
Sadly, this kind of incident happens more frequently than you may think and there isn’t much that can be done when a dog gets high.
“Marijuana toxicity is no laughing matter and if people note their dogs have gotten into it they should seek veterinary care immediately,” Dr. Robert Proietto told The Dodo. “It is also important to tell the veterinarian the truth. No veterinarian is going to judge their client for being honest and we will never contact the police. We just want to know what is going on so we can treat the pet to the best of our ability.”
Now that the use of marijuana has become legal, the run-ins between pets and pot are likely to increase.
For example, vets at Washington State have seen as many as one dog per day for THC exposure. In Colorado, incidents of stoned dogs have quadrupled in recent years.
However, there are some people who say that marijuana has beneficial medicinal uses for animals, while others say weed is dangerous for anyone.
YouTube videos showing dogs intentionally given weed for recreation do exist. The effect his heartbreaking – the dogs are stumbling and groggy and clearly not enjoying the experience.
“Some animals will only act a little ‘stoned’ (wobbly, lethargic) and they can be managed at home,” Tina Wismer, medical director at the ASPCA animal poison control center says. “Others can become agitated or even comatose and those animals need veterinary intervention.”
While the dogs in the videos remained safe and healthy, vets still warn dog owners of the potentially fatal effect of the drug. A large quantity of pot can be fatal to dogs – three grams of pot per kilogram of a dog’s weight is a lethal dose. Smaller amounts can still be dangerous, triggering seizures and even comas.
“Most of the pets do very well with treatment,” Dr. Proietto says.
Treatments include inducing vomiting and giving IV fluids.
“It is sometimes the most expensive marijuana that people buy after they get their veterinary bill. We encourage people to keep it in a safe place away from their pets for their wallets and for the sake of their furry four legged kids,” he adds.
If you think your dog has consumed marijuana, take him to the veterinarian right away to make sure the amount isn’t fatal. Generally, symptoms in dogs will disappear in a day or two. But when it comes to pets and drugs, you can never be too careful.
Remember, prevention is better than cure. The best thing to do is to keep your weed and marijuana-laced edibles far out of paw’s reach.
Source: The Dodo