Everybody loves Christmas – even dogs! Sadly the season can also pose dangers to our beloved pets.
As a responsible pet lover, you would do well to keep your furry friend away from Christmas foods and items.
Christmas Food That Dogs Can’t Eat
Alcohol -Keep alcoholic drinks and any food containing alcohol away from your dog. Alcohol can cause serious liver damage in dogs.
Apricot – The stones from apricots can be fatal to dogs, so it is best to keep them out of reach.
Chocolate– Chocolates may be sweet and tasty, but they are dangerous for dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine and can cause serious harm to your pooch, even in small quantities. Darker chocolates mean a higher theobromine content.
Christmas cake and Christmas pudding – Any cake or recipe that uses raisins is harmful to pets. This ingredient is linked to kidney failure in dogs. Unfortunately, it can prove fatal to your furry friends.
Cooked bones – In general, cooked bones can easily splinter and puncture your dog’s stomach. They are dangerous and should never be given to a dog.
Sugar-free sweets and mints –Sugar-free food isn’t healthy at all. Many sugar-free products contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener, and can cause serious damage to your pet’s organs.
Christmas Decorations You Should Never Let Your Dog Near
Besides Christmas food, here are some decoration items that should be kept away from your pooch.
Mistletoe – It is linked to stomach problems in dogs. Besides, mistletoe may cause allergic reactions and skin irritations. Surprisingly, it is so harmful that even few berries can prove fatal.
Holly (berries) – In dogs, holly may cause an upset stomach, tremors, seizures, and loss of balance.
Poinsettia –These beautiful Christmas plants are often linked to diarrhea in dogs. These may cause abdominal cramps in your furry friend. There is a high risk of irritation and blindness if your dog’s eyes come in contact with the flower.
Other Items You Should Keep Out Of Your Dog’s Reach
Apart from Christmas food, here are some other items that you should keep away from your furry friend.
Medicines- Keep those painkillers away while preparing for the holiday hangover. It is important to keep medications away from your furry friend, as they can be harmful if swallowed.
Antifreeze – You may be surprised to find that antifreeze is present in street puddles during the winter. So it is a good idea not to allow your furry friend to drink water from puddles. Antifreeze can prove fatal to dogs, though most pets are attracted to them.
If you think your dog has consumed any of the food or items above, please contact your veterinarian immediately.