Dog Safety: Tips To Keep Your Dog Safe in The Fall

It is important to keep your dog safe in the fall. While the season is the perfect time to enjoy the natural charm, there are dangers that come along with, especially for dogs. Some tick species – especially those that are carriers of Lyme disease – are most active during the fall season. These parasites are not the only problem. Cold temperature and wild animals can also be potential threats to your pet.

Here are some tips to keep your dog safe in the fall.

Prevent Ticks on Your Dog

Adult deer ticks that spread Lyme disease thrive as the fall season progresses. These ticks are a threat not only to your dog but to you and your family as well.

To protect your dog from possible Lyme disease infection, keep the ticks away. Many tick preventatives, including tick collars, spot-on treatments, medicated shampoo, and powders, are available in pet stores.

Keep the grass and bushes in your yard trimmed. Check your dog’s skin for ticks after a walk or hike. Ticks need to latch on an animal for at least 24 to 48 hours before they could transmit the Lyme disease bacteria.

Watch Out for Allergies

Some dogs suffer from allergies as the fall season approaches. Dogs commonly suffer from skin rash, snorting, and allergic rhinitis during this time of the year. Giving your dog Benadryl or antihistamines may help treat and keep away allergic threats. Ask your veterinarian about the best antihistamine for your dog.

Keep Your Dog Safe During Outings

The weather gets colder during this time of the year. However, that should not be an excuse to keep your dog away from outdoor activities and daily exercise. Walking and other modes of exercise promote dog’s mental as well as physical wellbeing.

Days are shorter during the fall. It usually gets dark during your dog’s afternoon walk time. You can use a light-up collar or a reflective gear to keep your dog safe while walking in the dark. Doggie shoes also protect your dog’s paws if the pavements are too cold.

Paralyzed Dog Saved Moments Before Being Euthanized After Vet Student Finds Tick Hiding Behind His Ear

Beware of Antifreeze Poisoning

More than 100,000 cases of pet poisoning are reported in the United States every year, and antifreeze is one of the most common poisons ingested by dogs. Antifreeze contains the compound ethylene glycol, which is toxic to both humans and dogs. This compound has a “sweet” taste, which may attract dogs. Most cases of antifreeze poisoning in dogs are attributed to improper storage or unsafe disposal of the product. Your dog can also ingest the toxic substance by licking or drinking a spill at your home. To keep your dog safe from the killer substance, store the antifreeze product at a safer place away from your dog’s reach.

Watch Out for Mushrooms

Mushrooms are plentiful during the fall. While 99% of mushrooms cause little to no toxicity in dogs, the remaining 1% are highly toxic and can cause life-threatening issues in your dog. However, it is difficult to determine which mushrooms are toxic and which ones are not. So, it is better to keep your dog away from areas where mushrooms grow.

Take Precautions During the Halloween

Chocolates are plentiful during the Halloween season. While these treats are tasty for humans, they can make dogs sick. Beware of “sugarless” sweets as well, especially those containing xylitol, which is a sugar alcohol that can kill your dog.

Halloween also brings lots of strangers, especially kids, to your home. If your dog does not like strangers, it is a good idea to keep him in a safe and secure place. If you plan to let your dog enjoy the festivities, make sure to keep him on a leash while celebrating with friends.

Steer Clear of Wildlife

Bears, snakes, and other animals remain active during this season – stocking up on food reserves before the winter. If you live in areas where there is wildlife, it is best to keep your dog indoors.

Add a Reply:

Add your comment below.